Wednesday, June 8, 2011

School Days

I swear, school is trying to kill me.
No, I don't mean the surprise maths exams everyone else seemed to know about.
And I don't mean the "healthy" tuckshop lunches that comprise of a mouldy hot dog and a warm can of drink.
It's the uniforms we are forced to wear, in order to make the school "look good".
Let's take today for an example. Yep, the biggest bum freezer of 2011. The wind was about zero degrees. The temperature of the rain spitting pleasantly on the only part of my body I couldn't cover up, my face? Warm as toast. That has been frozen.
Needless to say, I'd covered the rest of my body as liberally as possible, without looking like an overdressed eskimo. Singlet, t-shirt, horribly thin dress, even thinner jumper, followed by the scarf that took three years to pass school regulations before it was finally introduced (three years? I mean, seriously?). Then follows the socks, stockings, and shoes. Unfortunately my face and hands were left to defend themselves, which they didn't do a very good job of. Six months of daily moisturising down the drain.
So as I poke around the school, squinting through the strong breeze, arms tucked under my armpits, I wonder how this could in any way make a school look good.
The alternative would be preferable - although possibly not in the name of fashion. I seriously don't know how people can do it - walk around as though it's the second hottest summer in Australia with shorts the length of their undies and singlet tops that disintegrate when the wearer puts their arms in the air. If that was me, I'd be a purple version of E.T. within seconds. But those people don't even have a single goose bump.
Either way, it's a lose-lose situation. So I'll take the loss and, if I ever become ruler of school uniforms in my future adventures, I'll be sure to include a dressing gown as part of the compulsory get up.

***EDIT*** To justify my opinions here, I have just found out: In my area was the coldest June day since 1916. I mean, I wasn't even alive then. I don't think my GRANDMOTHER was alive then. In fact, my GREAT GRANDMOTHER wasn't even breathing then. See what pain I must go through, being a descendant of these people? Also, it was colder at 3pm than at 3am. All I can say to that is, at 3pm, I should have been as asleep as I was at 3am.

3 comments: